Saturday, 11 February 2012

Read me like a book. Literally.

 Shirt: Primark
Top: River Island
Shorts Primark
Converse: Amazon
Body warmer: Internacionale

I decided to try a newspaper manicure last night, simply because I thought it looked pretty cool. I had to do it twice because it didn't really work the first time. You'll have to excuse the messiness, I'm not the best at nails, clearly. You need to use some form of alcohol to get the print from the newspaper onto your nails. The tutorial I read suggested rubbing alcohol but given that I didn't know what that was I just went round my house looking for any substance with alcohol in it. I've heard that vodka works quite well but I didn't have any in my house. I tried insect repellant, hairspray, perfume, body mist, febreeze and mouth wash. Mouth wash worked the best but Febreeze was okay-ish too. I also tried to put a picture on one of my nails but that didn't work either. For the pattern on my ring finger I used a crossword and for the larger letters on my right thumb I used a head-line.

All you need is a base colour, some form of alcohol, some newspaper and a top coat.

Step 1: Paint your nails with the base colour. I chose white just because I thought that would be the clearest colour. Then just wait for it to dry.

Step 2: Dip or spray a nail in your chosen substance and then put a strip of newspaper over it. This works like a transfer tattoo, the ink simply transfers onto your nails. Hold the newspaper down for a few seconds then gently peel it off. Repeat on the rest of your nails and then wait for the print to dry.

Step 3: Paint on the top-coat. The ink has to be completely dry before you apply the top coat otherwise it will smudge. I waited 15-20 minutes for the ink to dry.

You should definitely give this a try. You'll get loads of compliments!

x



14 comments:

  1. I might have to give this a go, it looks really funky! xx

    http://deardollyblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the bit of crossword on your nail. So cute. X x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Newspaper nails are so cool! I just don't have the patience to do anything fancy with my nails, and I always smudge them :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely going to try this! xx
    http://lickthegunwhenimdone.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen my friend do it and it looks so cool! Definitely going to have to try.

    Love your outfit too :)

    Love, Elizabeth xx

    http://butterflyboo.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. The nails look so amazing! I'm wondering if it would work the same with old comic strips? Loving the body warmer - looks so cozy! :)

    Maisyetc.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your converse so much! I could never keep white shoes clean :')I tagged you in my 11 questions post, I hope you do it :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. this looks soooo awesome! gonna try it some time soon ;)

    also, your outfit is really cool!

    xoxo jen

    ReplyDelete
  9. I adore your top! I have also tagged you in the 11 questions tag. My blog post has the details!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much for following me! Your blog is so fun! i'm following you right back!
    xo, Emily

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOOOOOW Your nails are simply amazing! This is the best thing i have ever seen! Great blog
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I want to try this! So cool. Love your blog. Would you like to follow each other?

    ReplyDelete
  13. i cant wait to try out the newspaper manicure myself!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the blog and definitly trying out these nails! please check out my blog http://misseelle.blogspot.com/ xo

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, I read and appreciate every single one. I promise I'll have a look at your blog.