Friday, 13 April 2012

Fish-tail braid tutorial

I finally got my camera back after almost a week without it and it's actually been surprisingly difficult. I had taken all the pictures for this tutorial before I left it at my auntie's so it was all ready just to put up. Before I go any further, I will warn you that some of the pictures are a little out of focus because I had both hands on my hair therefore didn't have enough hands to hold my hair, focus and take the picture at the same time so my appologies in advance!


Step 1:
Part your hair and pull it all round to the side of your head (unless you want to do it down your back or whatever, then do the appropriate!). You might want to brush it before you start, just to let you know.
 Step 2:
Split your hair into 2 bits. Try to make them equal-ish but it doesn't really matter that much if they're not.

 Step 3:
Take a relatively thin piece of hair from the outer side of one of the two sections you made in the last step and cross it over to the inner side of the other section. Sorry, it's kind of difficult to describe!

 Step 4:
Do the same from the other section and cross it over the top. Make sure you keep a hold of both sides.

 Step 5:
Keep going! It might take quite a long time, especially on your first shot but you can always try it on wet hair if that's easier. Also, make sure you keep your head in the same position as you plait or the whole braid will start to twist and go squint.


 Step 6:
Ta da! Tie it with a bobble on the end and pull out a couple of side bits if you're going for the 'messy' look!

If you want tutorials for any of the other styles from my recent post ( Long hair, bobby pins and braided updos ) let me know! I'd be delighted to show you how to do them.

Let me know how it goes!

x

12 comments:

  1. Great tutorial though I don't think I'll ever be able to do this :( x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a lovely hairstyle,I'm gonna try this :)x

    http://atypicalenglishrose.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea, wohooo i finally get it! :x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! You have beautiful hair :)

    Do you want to take part in my new giveaway? It will end in 15th April!

    http://fantasyfashioned.blogspot.de/2012/04/giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. You really suit this style :) I've given you an award, you can check out my blog for details,
    Bex x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh I'll have to try this out!

    joanne from jimmilou.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is a really good tutorial!
    I knew before how to do a fishtail braid so I followed EXACTLY the steps you described and you always found a perfect explanation ;)
    plus I think the photos are really good (even though some are out of focus^^)

    xoxo Jen

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish my hair was long enough for that :) it always looks so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It really suits you! Your hair is gorgeous, so long!

    Love, Elizabeth xx

    http://butterflyboo.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been trying to learn how to do this for sooo long, I've googled it and attempted to follow loads of instructions for it, aaaand I watched a few youtube videos and could still never seem to get it to work! I read this and managed it first attempt. And it didn't even take me that long!

    So thank you so much for that, it was an exciting moment. XD

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, I read and appreciate every single one. I promise I'll have a look at your blog.